Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community by Reggie Joiner and Carey Nieuwhof
This is an overview of a book that I think would be helpful for parents to read. At the time of this writing, I am working on Chapter 3 of this book with a LifeGroup made up of parents at Emmanuel Evangelical Free Church.
We, in our LifeGroup, have been challenged through our reading and discussing these chapters. I would like to share a glimpse of this book with you, hoping that you might consider reading it yourself or joining a LifeGroup like ours.
In the book, the authors outline the idea of “orange” as a philosophy combining the family and the church. The colour red represents the love of the family. The colour yellow represents the light of the church. Both of these institutions are made by God to help make followers of Jesus. These two influences are most effective when they are combined and aligned. This is orange!
This book talks about a strategy for parenting. Here are some ideas to consider:
- A parent’s influence is best realized in partnership with the local church. No person’s influence will be as important as yours, but you are not the only influence your child will need.
- God isn’t holding up a perfect picture of your family, He’s writing a bigger story. The family exists, even in its imperfection, to display the heart of God to every generation.
- Widen the circle: Pursue strategic relationships for your kids. The goal is for you to pursue strategic relationships so another adult voice will be speaking into your son’s or daughter’s life, saying the kinds of things you would say as a parent.
Here are the upcoming chapters I’m looking forward to discussing!
- Imagine the End: Focus your priorities on what matters most.
- Fight for the Heart: Communicate in a style that gives the relationship value.
- Create a Rhythm: Increase the quantity of quality time you spent together.
- Make it Personal: Put yourself first when it comes to personal growth.
- You can mobilize your family to demonstrate God‘s love in a broken world.
Check out Parenting Beyond Your Capacity!